Thursday, January 29, 2015

          This semester, I think the most surprising thing I learned was that Indian vocalists use quarter tones. I'm not sure if that's something America would ever be able to wrap its mind around. The primary instrument we use for songwriting, piano, is not even capable of having quarter tones. Our ears are trained to hear whole steps and half steps and I don't know about you, but I struggle with that enough as it is. Imagine Musicianship class including quarter tone identification. That is a skill that I will never have.
          Although Trinidad and Puerto Rico weren't covered specifically, I definitely have African roots. When we went over Africa, I was delighted to hear about how resourceful they are. Using the very trees which surround them to make drum. I really enjoyed the part of the video when the guy chopped down the tree, hallowed, and carved out the wood to make it a drum. They make it themselves. I've never made my own instrument. Nor do I know anyone who has, but for them, it's so typical.
          As far as what has intrigued me enough to go out on my own and learn more, I would have to say that the Ireland presentation really caught my attention. Celtic Woman was a group I had never heard of before and the musical characteristics unique to Ireland seemed so unique. It sounded good without sounding foreign even though it was. It felt natural to me, but I'm certainly not Irish. I also really liked their use of the violin.
          There were many things that sparked my interest this semester that I didn't quite expect to. The class was great. The students, the lessons, the videos, and  the music was, for the most part, new to me. It was a great experience and will always be remembered as my first Jan term. I had fun and hope to for my next three Jan terms as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the class, Faith. I think you'll find that, as a composer, you now have access to many more sounds and styles than you had before.

    ReplyDelete