Friday, January 16, 2015

          My favorite Blues artist is Billy Holiday and trust me. If you've ever seen Lady Sings the Blues, the movie about her life, she'd be yours, too. Inspirational doesn't even begin to describe her career. Developing as a music artist during a time when the KKK was thriving, racism was undeniably prevalent, and the wrong roads to go down were constantly thrown into her foresight was not easy. She was strong, but did not always make the best choices. Unfortunately, she became addicted to drugs. The pain was too much. If you're wondering what kind of things she had to be sad about, listen to her song here, Strange Fruit.
I wish she could say she was talking about apples and bananas.
Lynching was all too common.

          Once upon a time, I was on a salsa dancing team. It was forever ago and I forgot most of what I learned but have no doubt that I can still turn all the way up at a party with predominantly hispanic people and music. Salsa is a style of dance where out of an eight count, you step on 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. Then there's bachata and merengue which consist of movements based on a simple 1, 2, 3, 4. My personal favorite of the three is bachata and below is my favorite bachata song.


          Racism is something that I have been lucky enough to not really have to deal with in my time alive. To keep myself aware of how real struggles have been and are elsewhere, I try to remain educated with movies such as Hotel Rwanda. It shows the struggles of an unsupported African couple and their attempt to help their people during apartheid. Here is a clip of this movie, which in my opinion, could change your entire view of life, if you watched.

6 comments:

  1. Faith, what an incredible, thought-provoking post!

    In high school, my favorite blues singer was Lena Horne. I knew there was a singer named, Billy Holiday, but I never knew a lot about her. You've managed to spark my interest and I will definitely watch Lady Sings the Blues.

    Back when we lived in California, I wanted to be a Salsa dancer when I grew up. Of course this was before I realized that I was not a very good dancer, but this music brings back fond memories.

    Hotel Rwanda is one of the most powerful movies I have ever seen. It is not only an incredible true story, but an example of how one man choosing to do the right thing can make a difference.

    Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say that I understand where you're coming from with the last video. It really shows us how bad racism got. we never really were exposed to it, so you're right that it shocks us in a big way. We forget until we see something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billie Holiday has a beautiful voice. "Gloomy Sunday" is another good song she sings that's worth a listen, if you haven't already.
    I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet. Now I have another reason that I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting the Billie Holiday video--that song is hard, but important. One of your classmates posted the Diana Ross remake, but Billie will always own that song. I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, but it does look extremely powerful. From the trailer, though, it doesn't look like the main character was helping his people against apartheid, but rather against the chaos that followed it. It might be worth your reading up more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hotel Rwanda is such an eye-opening movie. It can completely change you after you watch it. Back in tenth grade I did a project on the Rwandan genocide and the media's lack of involvement in it. Also, my church has a ministry in Rwanda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really wonderful string of videos you have shared! I really like how artists like Billy Holiday can use music to uplift people and spread the awareness of social injustice. I think it's great we have things like this preserved so that we don't forget what happened here, and that we strive to keep changing for the better. --Tessa

    ReplyDelete