Friday, January 9, 2015

          Something I was really hoping we'd go over about Native American heritage was spirit animals. Similar to the zodiac presented in several different cultures' traditions, it is a Native American belief that at birth, each person is designated a spirit animal. With that animal, comes certain characteristics. This animal then becomes apart of the person. They are said to have an attachment if and whenever they encounter this animal in real life. This spiritualistic point of view on these animals is not only interesting, but a joy to think of as a possibility. A friend of mine's father is a pastor at a church. He is also, however, very in touch with his Native American beliefs. The two of them went on a camping trip on a Native American reservation a few years back. My friend says that this was when he discovered that his animal was the wolf. Knowing him, the young man that he was, it seemed strangely ordinary. I wasn't, nor am I now, used to hearing such things, but it just seemed to fit. I later discovered what being the wolf is supposed to mean and it only furthered my feeling that it just fit him. The wolf is supposed to be loving and gentle, but wanting freedom. Fully capable of providing needed love, the wolf remains independent and often takes on the role of the lone wolf. Check out your sign at http://www.whats-your-sign.com/native-american-animal-symbols.html 


Wolf Native American Animal Symbol
the symbol of the wolf

          Another topic I wished we could have dabbled upon was the history of stepping. I'm sure many of you have heard of or seen some form of step dancing; at least stomp the yard. However, it wouldn't surprise me that the same number of you have never realized that stepping has roots in African dance. In West Africa, the slaves weren't allowed to communicate by drums. Deprived of this key component of their culture, they reverted to what they were left with-- their bodies. By slapping  their arms, legs, and chest, a new form of communication developed. With time, it was incorporated with music and morphed into tap dance. Only after these occurrences was the modern day stepping able to evolve. It always stirs up a sense of nostalgia to think of how far we've come and where we've come from , doesn't it? I mean, look at what we've made it to and this is only a taste.


8 comments:

  1. Hey cool! My symbol is the otter. Thank you for including that. How cool to have a resource for the Native American astrological chart! Really Cool! :)
    And I loved the step example you presented. Those people are good- I wish I had rhythm like That! So glad I came to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, I loved all the information you included with your posts! You gave a fascinating background for each. Really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The history and example you have of stepping is really cool. I didn't know much about the historical context of it and it really ties together a lot of what we learned in class about the use of drums and how anything can become an instrument. (This is Sara Wilkinson btw, blogger keeps saying I'm commenting anonymous so :P )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted about the Native American spirit animal! That was something I hadn't considered, but that is definitely an important part of that culture. Also, I really enjoyed you sharing some of the back ground to stepping. There was a step team at my junior high, and I always enjoyed watching them perform, but I never knew the historical context behind it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some interesting posts, Faith. Thank you for sharing them. Do realize that we can't hit about any given culture in this course--in fact, we only hit the tip of each iceberg. On of the points of these blogs is exactly for you all to share what find interesting, to further everyone's knowledge.

    Also, be sure you read the instructions a bit more closely--you're supposed to have three items of info, not just two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faith!
    Thanks so much for discussing stepping. I have always been fascinated with stepping, but have never wondered where it came from. I had not realized that the blacks in western africa were prohibited from using drums. How cruel! If you ever want to start a step team, I will join for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised that at one point, African American slaves weren't allowed to do the simplest form of communication. I wonder if any current steps have incorporated steps that would be used to communicate during times of slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was on a step team for two years in middle school and had no clue of the cultural roots. Thank you for bringing up spirit animals. I really connect with the belief and the respect for nature that it creates.

    ReplyDelete