Monday, September 29, 2014

It has been a magnificently treacherous road to junior year and I am not going to lie about that. Things start off easy because this is a nice school with generous teachers-- teachers who want you to make sure things are together before they give you too much to handle. It is not until after you have been given ample time to gather your schedules, study habits, and just-starting-college jitters that they will (still) give you more than you can handle. At that point, it's all up to you. It is up to you to realize that you can handle it. If you manage your time well enough, appointing work ethic when and where needed, college classes are definitely something you can tackle head-on. It is possible. It is more than possible if you're willing to put in the work. That's the thing, though. You have to be willing to put the work in. My willingness coming in to college was one hundred percent. I told myself I would bury my head in the books and not come out or make friends until I knew I could handle myself. However, I was slapped in the face with the realization that I can make friends effortlessly. As fun as that may sound, with my habit of putting others before myself and being that person that everybody comes to, this was not a good thing. I honestly recommend not even contemplating a social life until about halfway through your first semester. For some of you, it may already be too late. All I can do for you is suggest that you hurry off of that track and on to the right one. Don't be like me. If I would simply have used my resources and taken advice given to me from the get-go, I would have had amazing grades. I had the potential to be that person who seems like they're always ahead. I didn't realize at the time, though, that those people are usually ahead because they do their work. They do it immediately regardless of the due dates. Do your work. If there was one thing I had to choose to stress, it would be to do your work. Friends are second. Parties are second. Fun comes second. Do your work FIRST and do it WELL, not lazily... Then, go club-hopping.

4 comments:

  1. This is all good advice, Faith. I'm delighted that you've discovered that you can make friends easily--now USE that talent. Your "friends" are also often your "colleagues." Who do you think is going to play the music your write? You're not just making friends: you're building your professional support network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Faith!
    I liked how you talked about managing time. I feel that sometimes I want to put not work first then school work second. Its hard to realized that sometimes even how much you want to do something, there is just not enough hours in the day. Once I realized that, I felt that I understood how to manage my time. I also like now that I understand how to manage my time, I can have a social life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Faith!
    I feel like you have so much wisdom. I remember those first few weeks when everything was easier and then bam! The work began. I think it's good to have the mindset that you need to put your work first. I've been having trouble with that myself this past week but I know I'm going to have to get myself back on track if I want to reach my goals in life. I loved reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Faith!
    I love how you talked about time management as the most important thing. It was one of the biggest transition issues I had. I also like how even though you concentrated on doing work first, you made sure to include time for yourself/fun.

    ReplyDelete